25 October 2006

Ironman World Championship

It happened right here in Kona on Saturday, October 21, 2006. I volunteered for two back to back shifts, both at the Finisher's Area, handing out medals, tshirts and such. It was one of the best days of my Hawaiian Adventure yet.


::::
This is the intersection at the bottom of my street, turning onto Ali'i Drive, which is sort of like "Main Street" through town. The marathon portion took place, for the most part, on Ali'i Drive.

::::
Walking down Ali'i Drive, towards the hubub of activity. The ocean is just to the left of this picture.


::::
Here is where I was helping out. I was stationed under the sign with numbers 1-200 on it, which meant my volunteer buddy Debbie and I were meeting and greeting the Professional athletes. It was amazing.

Debbie, Alex, Tim:
:::
This man won the whole gosh darn thing:

And this was his medal:

::::
Sitting at my post, looking out at the Finisher's Area, before people starting finishing:

A handful of hours later: